Monday, June 16, 2014

Hot pants? No! Hot pads.

Friday night I came home from work and wanted to sew.  I wanted color and a quick finish.  The lowest hanging fruit, then, was to make the hot pads my family had requested.  Super easy and rewarding, right?

I was happily stitching away when my other half came up to the sewing room.  "What are you making?" he asked.  "Hot pads" I replied (thinking if he couldn't tell what they were after asking for them I was in trouble!).  "Hot pants?"  he asked...slightly worried.  Um.  What?  Why would I ever make myself hot pants?!?  "No, just hot PADS."  Goodness gracious!

Photobomb by my left foot.  Thank goodness for that pedicure, Mom!

With a bit of Essex linen (Navy), Denyse Schmidt plaid and a FQ of happy Orla Kiely-type kitchen mugs and pitchers I sat down to use Adrianne's tutorial.  It was incredibly easy to follow and the templates are very helpful.  Adrianne stresses that you need to use biased binding and indeed she is right for those curves.


It was my first time making/using biased binding, so that was a small adventure.  Here I used Dottie Orange - I love how it works with the greens and blues in the other prints.  A bit mad, but I dig it.  I have to say, when I sat down to hand stitch the binding to the back, I was entirely grateful that there was a bit of give in the binding.  So very glad I listened to her suggestions and was not too arrogant to think straight binding would due.


When you google Hot Pad Tutorial, every tute and blog post has a lovely action shot of someone bringing a casserole or cupcakes out of the oven showing you that they do indeed work.  I am not a cook - I mean I can survive if left to my own devices, but I do not enjoy it so I leave it to my other half who loves it.  When it came to taking photos of my hot pads in action, my other half was not around to model them for me!  What to do, but make my own speciality?  Peanut butter on toast.  Bliss.  They worked just fine - no fingers were warmed while making this delicious snack.


The biggest risk in testing out the hot pads was this monster.  She loves peanut butter, so I was full sure she would steal my toast as I was trying to take a photo of it to my surprise, she just hung out in the grass and waited patiently for some of it to drop.  Love her.

Once I finished off my other half's hot pad, I dove into those requested by my folks.  They wanted two individual pads, so I tried to oblige.  I figured while I was making two, I would make four so we had another set for bigger items (like massive pizza pans) that my onesie hot pad would not fit around.  


Saturday  morning I started making improv scrappy log cabin blocks.  I wanted to do a QAYG block, but that proved very difficult given the layer of insulated batting AND the layer of cotton batting.  These are fully from the scrap bin (much to Sarah's delight).  Scrap navy Essex to back, scraps to make the log cabin, scraps of batting (both types) and a bit of binding I had left from another project.


I am quite pleased with how they turned out.  They are a bit wild for my parent's kitchen, but they will not forget who made them :)
 



I quilted them in concentric rectangles, that you can see a bit better here on the back.  I do really enjoy free quilting on a side project that moves through my machine easily.  


The other two (that are staying here in Galway) are pieced and quilted, but waiting for their binding.  I am sure they will be finished off while watching a World Cup match some night this week.  Perfect time for a little hand stitching!

That's the word from Galway.  Rest assured there are no burned figures in our house!





24 comments:

Nicky said...

What a good doggie! And love your protective equipment! Keep your fingers burn free!

Susan said...

I agree- leave the cooking to the Mr if he likes it (as mine does!) Do you think it is a sign of age to actually know what hot pants are? ;-)) And now I feel like a piece of toast with peanut butter, but I guess I will wait til breakfast! Oh- your hot pads are great!

pennydog said...

I made some of these for Christmas with two layers of Insul Bright but the elderly ladies they were for have since complained that they can still feel the warmth through them :S I'm pretty sure then that they haven't actually used them or are using them backwards! These are much prettier, I had to be quite conservative with mine.

I think you need to make some hot pants as well!

Sniffs to Molly.

Rhonda the Rambler said...

I need new potholders- if I ever catch up on bee blocks I will have to try these - your look great!!!!

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

all far too nice to use! I am on a diet and am salivating here looking at your toast mmmmm
really miss toast

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

all far too nice to use! I am on a diet and am salivating here looking at your toast mmmmm
really miss toast

Aoife said...

Love the bright colours! But that bright orange binding is my favourite thing :) off to pin that tutorial now! Something to make next time I feel the need to sew something now!

memmens said...

Gorgeous makes, i made a pair too last week using the same tutorial! It's great isn't it, I'm just not so organised and efficient hence no photo's or blog post!

Wendy said...

they are all fab! and you call the double ones hot pads? To me they are oven gloves... the Michael Miller on the pockets of the oven gloves is the same fabric I've chosen to make my kitchen curtains, though in yellow, if I ever get round to it!

I made a pair of oven gloves once, but my husband complains he still burns his hands through them. I used 2 layers of Insulbrite. Let me know how you get on with yours, maybe that layer of cotton batting is the ticket.

Canadian Abroad said...

Brilliant! Now go make the hot pants, and model them. ;-)

Janet said...

Lots of pretty colour to brighten up your kitchen! I made myself a pair of hot pants when I was fourteen...:)

Tomomi McElwee said...

Nice ones. Great colour choice! I recycled old pair of jeans for our hot pad. And used red binding.A few years on, no sign of wearing out :)

Judith, Belfast said...

These are so lovely C! I call the long ones oven gloves/mitts so I had a completely different picture in my mind when I read your title! Jxo

Rachaeldaisy said...

Such fun hot pads, they almost too fabulous to use. I love your fabric choices. I used to wear hot pants when I was younger. I'd forgotten all about them, they were denim with embroidery and patches!

Sarah said...

These would cheer up any kitchen experience - even mine I suspect (not my favourite place to be).

Katy Cameron said...

I would have to say 'hot pad' would have thrown me ever so slightly as it's not really a word we use here, we just have oven gloves! They're nice though :o)

Erin @ Billy Button Design said...

Cindy did you use the special wadding/batting for the hot pads, or just good old cotton wadding.. Last time I tried these I just used towelling from a tea towel.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

These look great!

Sophie Belle Designs said...

I thought it was a skateboard Cindy when I saw your lead photo! ha ha Love the oven gloves and hot pads, they look great.

Henry said...

This is so easy to make and it looks so much beautiful. I will also give it a try. Now it's time to avail airport chauffeur service for more information.

Tim Steve said...

Well said in this blog. I like this blog. The beautiful images you shared in this blog. I will share this blog with my friends. Kindly keep sharing more informative blogs. Thank you. Now it's time to avail Hayatte Luxury Services for more information.

Markwillium said...

All stitches and creative pictures are so beautiful. I will share this with my mom. this is very inspiring to make like this. Now it's time to avail Jupiter Florida Airport for more information.

Alex petter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alex petter said...

This is a very informative and useful blog. Your stitches and design very fantastic. I like that. Thanks for sharing this article. Now it's time to avail Best 10 seat minibus hire in Dartford for more information.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Label Cloud

241 tote all heart appeal antique applique apron art quilt aurifil award baby quilt back background bag basket batik bee Bee Blessed Big Stitch Swap bird's nest birdie stitches birthday blankets of love block blog blogaversary blogger bundle bloglovin' BOM book brit bee brooch bundle bunting business card holder camping cathedral window chain piecing chaos charm pack charm squares charm swap chickens Christmas class clothes color commission community community quilt contest craft craft fair cross cross stitch Cúchulainn cushion design wall diaper Do.Good Stitches donation double wedding ring drawing dress eclipse election electronica embroicery embroidery eraser stamp exhibit fab fabric fabric tape facebook FAL farmers journal fat eight fat quarter fat quarterly feature festival of quilts film finish finish along flag flickr flying geese FMQ FNSI frame Free Motion Friday free motion quilting friends fugly Galway Galway Now gift giveaway goal goals goodie goodie swap granny mania granny squares graph guest blog guild hand puppet hand quilting hand sewing happy hat help hexagons hey girl hospital hot pad HST I Spy ICA improv innovation award inspiration interview invitation ipad ipad cover IPS IQFOI Irish chain Japanese key fob kind stitches knit knitting knitting and stitching kona lattice illusions laugh launch learning lecture Liberty linky list little star loops love on the blocks LQS Day magazine market medallion mennonite miniquilt mixer cover mod logs Mod Pop QAL modern blocks Modern Irish Bee modern irish quilters modern quilt guild modern quilt guild bee modern stitching Modern Stitching Bee monster mouthy stitches mug rug mural name name game name tag napkin needle book new york beauty newsletter Nieve notebook cover overlocker panel paper piecing patchwork pattern Pay it forward Peace Valley peanut butter perle cotton pezzy pizazz photograph PIF pillow pillowcase dress pin cushion pinwheel PJ placemat podcast polka dot pom pom portholes post pouch precut puffy pouch puppy purse QAL quilt quilt exhibit quilt frame quilt top quilter in the gap quilting Rainbow Charm Swap research retreat retroflower review sale sampler scarf science scrap scraps screen printing seams selvage sew and bee happy Sew Bee Blissful sewing machine sewing room shop significant sizzix sketch skirt solid spools stall stand star stargazing start your own stitched in color string stuffed super tote surprise swap swoon tablerunner teaching text thumb tack tiles top tote toy travel tree skirt tumbler tutorial twinkle twinkle twitter video vote walk wallet website win WIP wonky house yarn youtube zip

Total Number of Page Views